Our Help for Grandparents
Becoming a grandparent, whether for the first or fifth time, is a cause for celebration. However, learning that your grandchild has been diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy can be frightening and difficult. You may be filled with questions, wondering how this could have happened and what this means for the future of your grandchild and your family.
Stern Law, PLLC understands the flood of emotions a grandparent of a child with Cerebral Palsy experiences. For more than 30 years, we have provided a comprehensive legal resource to help answer questions and protect the rights of families affected by Cerebral Palsy. If you would like to learn more about how Stern Law, PLLC can help your family uncover the cause of your grandchild’s condition, call us now at (800) 462-5772.
Raising a Child with Cerebral Palsy
Once a child has been diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy, it might seem there is little a grandparent can do to help. That is not true. Grandparents can provide invaluable support, both emotionally and physically, for both grandbaby and parents. Knowing how best to help the parents and child can be difficult at first, but you have the ability to help in several ways.
Some grandparents raise their grandchildren themselves, while others assume more traditional roles. Raising a child with Cerebral Palsy requires diligent care and involves a number of challenges that most parents will never have to face. One of the most important things you can do initially is to provide loving, compassionate emotional support to the parents and the child. Grandparents can also take part in some therapies, whether it’s learning sign language for a child with a hearing impairment or driving your grandchild to a scheduled appointment. Other actions you can take right now include:
- Learn as much as you can about Cerebral Palsy. Also called CP, Cerebral Palsy is a complex condition with a wide range of symptoms and care requirements. To help you better understand your grandchild’s condition and its potential impact on your family, we have developed a comprehensive eBook: The Ultimate CP Support Guide. You can order this free resource through our Facebook page or by calling (800) 462-5772.
- Understand the impact of CP on everyday life. Explore CerebralPalsy.org to read about essential CP lifestyle topics, such as:
- Learn about your grandchild’s legal rights. If a professionally conducted Medical Legal Review determines that your grandchild’s Cerebral Palsy was preventable, and resulted from an error during pregnancy, delivery or post-birth care, your grandchild could be eligible for Lifetime benefits. These benefits can financially assist with decades of expenses related to your grandchild’s condition and limitations, including medical costs, assistive equipment, daily living expenses and more. Stern Law, PLLC is committed to providing exceptional legal services to children and families affected by medical malpractice. Our litigation focus includes:
- Birth injury litigation
- Brain injury litigation
- Medical malpractice litigation
- Estate planning
- Educational advocacy
- Explore financial resources. There are countless expenses associated with Cerebral Palsy and its care. Learn more about your family’s financial options:
- Trust, Estate and Probate Law
- Special Needs Trusts
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Contact Stern Law, PLLC to Learn More
We understand what a difficult and confusing time this can be, and you surely have more questions than can be answered on a single web page. In addition to visiting our comprehensive Resources page, we invite you to contact Stern Law PLLC today by completing the form on this page or calling (800) 462-5772 to learn more about any of the information on our website.